Yoga therapy for children and young people aged 5 to 18 – free sessions are available for a limited time.
Helpful for emotional regulation, trauma, mental health, stress and anxiety; yoga therapy uses gentle body based practices to rebalance the nervous system and integrate our mind body and soul.
Laura has a wealth of experience in supporting children and young people with emotional wellbeing and is currently training as a children’s yoga therapist. She is looking for children and young people to work with therapeutically, over a period of six to eight weeks, as part of her case study portfolio. Please get in touch if you would like one to one support, free of charge for your child.
In sessions with children, Laura employs the neurosequential model developed by pioneering neuroscientist – Dr Bruce Perry. The following gives an idea of how Laura works with children in a yoga therapy setting:
- Firstly, I help the child to regulate their emotions and calm their fight/flight/freeze responses. In yoga therapy this happens through mindful movement, breathing practices and sound, which help to rebalance the nervous system and strengthen the pathways towards social engagement. This is based on both Dr Stephen Porges polyvagal theory and ancient yogic philosophy of the gunas.
- Secondly, I relate with the child through an attuned and sensitive relationship. This will form the basis of a therapeutic alliance between the child and myself as therapist and is grounded in psychology attachment theory and child centred practice. I use song and story to develop a connection and support the development of new and adaptive neural pathways.
- Thirdly I support the child to reason and reflect on their emotions, thoughts and experiences and learn to become self-assured through the regular practice of yoga. These practices are tailored and adapted to meet the needs of the individual but may include mindful movement, breath practices, mantra and song, relaxation and meditation.
Laura has worked with children and young people in wellbeing roles throughout her career including in schools, the NHS, Local Authorities and Childline NSPCC.
To discuss your child’s needs or book an initial assessment please get in touch
Laura’s education and qualifications
2019 – current Children’s Yoga Therapy Creative Calm (accredited by IYN and BPS)
2016-17 Yoga Teaching Diploma Yoga Campus
2016 Kids Yoga Go Yoga
2000 -02 Pg.Dip Community Education with PQ in Youth Work De Montfort University
1995-99 BSc. (Hons) Psychology with professional training Aston University
Additional training undertaken by Laura
- Transforming trauma through yoga
- Yoga for anxiety and depression
- Drawing and Talking Therapy
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (NSPCC)
- Emergency First Aid
- Mental Health First Aid